This European restaurant with old-school flair offers an eclectic menu, high tea & a tapas bar.
Per The Architecture of Entertainment by Robert Winter, the French Quarter-style property was designed in 1927 by Louis du Puget Millar as a studio/office/workshop for renown interior decorator Edgar J. Cheesewright. At the time of its inception, the 2-story, 42-room, 35,000-square-foot complex boasted 3 street-level boutiques, 8 sales rooms, several workshops and offices, a reception hall with a curved staircase, an entrance courtyard with a fountain, a rear garden, leaded glass windows, wrought iron balconies, and a 2-story atrium.
Cheesewright’s business suffered financially during the Great Depression and he eventually sold the property. During World War II, the complex was acquired by the U.S. Naval Research Bureau and was utilized to conduct secret military testing. A basement lab was constructed for Albert Einstein during that time, complete with a tunnel that linked it to the California Institute of Technology located about a half a mile away, so that the scientist could venture there and back unseen. In 1983, the Navy relinquished the building and it was transformed into retail/office space once again. Today, the second floor houses apartments known as the Pasadena Green Plaza Apartments. Miraculously, despite its different incarnations over the years, much of the site’s original detailing and beauty has been retained.
Madeline Garden Bistro & Venue, which was featured in a Season 4 episode of Mad Men.